Spikkel and Jo started off with a career in eventing but, after two failed attempts at Intermediate Cross Country, Jo decided that she would be more suited to Dressage only.
At that time, Jo was being trained by Sarah Cheetham who, quite quickly, helped the pair to progress to Pre St. George level, which was always the aim.
Jo then sought training from Pammy Hutton of Palland Equestrian, who encouraged Jo to continue to progress up the levels.
In early 2019, Jo and Spikkel competed in their first Grand Prix; this being Jo’s new goal. Also, she had decided that, once the pair had competed in three Grand Prix competitions, she would allow Spikkel to retire and send her to stud. So, in May, 2019, that is exactly what happened.
Spikkel is now happily retired and is currently in Devon at Newton Stud.
Through Spikkel’s career she has competed at many Regional, Championship, Premier League, Small Tour Championship, and Area Festivals. The following are just a few of her achievements:
- February, 2007 – Winter Regionals, Novice – 6th
- August, 2007 – Regionals, Novice – 8th
- February, 2008 – Regionals, Elementar y – 5th
- April, 2008 - Winter Championships, Elementary - 5th
- July, 2009 – Regionals, Medium – 3rd
- August, 2010 – Summer Area Festival, Advanced Medium – 1st
- February, 2011 – Winter Regionals, Freestyle Advanced Medium – 7th
- April, 2011 - Winter Championships, Freestyle Advanced Medium - 6th
- July, 2011 – Regionals, Advanced Medium – 8th
- February, 2012 – Winter Regionals, Advanced Medium – 9th
- February, 2012 – Winter Regionals, Advanced Medium Freestyle – 10th
- February, 2012 – Winter Regionals, Freestyle Prix St Georges – 9th
- February, 2013 – Winter Regionals, Freestyle Prix St Georges – 8th
- August, 2014 – Summer Area Festival, Prix St Georges – 4th
- October, 2014 – Dutchy Area Festival, Prix St Georges – 2nd
- September, 2015 – Summer Area Festival, Intermediate I – 5th
- February, 2016 – Winter Regionals – Freestyle Prix St Georges – 4th
- May 2016 – Addington Premiere League, Freestyle to Music Prix St. Georges – 3rd
- July, 2016 – Winter Regionals – Intermediate I – 6th
- July, 2016 – Winter Regionals – Prix St Georges – 6th
- September, 2016 – Summer Area Festival, Intermediate I – 6th
- March, 2017 – Winter Regionals, Prix St Georges – 7th
- October, 2017 - Small Tour Championship competitor
- July, 2017 – Premier League, Hartpury, Prix St. Georges – 9th
- July, 2019 – Regionals, Prix St Georges – 9th